Location - Canary Wharf
Duration - 6 months initially
Barclays is a transatlantic consumer, corporate and investment bank offering products and services across personal, corporate and investment banking, credit cards and wealth management, with a strong presence in our two home markets of the UK and the US. Our goal is to become the bank of choice by providing superior services to customers and clients and supporting our stakeholders via a commercially successful business that generates long-term sustainable returns.
About the Experience design team:
In the Experience Design team, we put customers first in everything we do. We champion user-centred design thinking and practice while building digital experiences to help transform the second oldest brand in the UK. As an established integrated in-house team, we are rapidly growing and creating a design community which sits at the heart of the business.
What we do:
We create user experiences across all our digital platforms - apps, web, voice, AI. We use multiple tools and processes including but not limited to - customer journey mapping, service design blue prints, prototyping, workshops, UX, UI, responsive design, user flows, design sprints, university collaboration, front end, create and contribute to our digital design language and work closely with user researchers. We partner and collaborate with lots of different teams too, working with developers, product owners, copy writers and legal teams to craft experiences that meet our customers’ needs.
Why work for Barclays:
- Flexible working and options to work from home.
- Good work life balance (we don’t work overtime except in rare circumstances)
- We have a supportive work environment
- Personal development, career opportunities across the business
- Training opportunities
- Opportunities to mentor
- Competitive salary and pension
Responsibilities of the Senior Designer:
- Delivering consistent, excellent, customer-focused design solutions
- Lead projects, taking responsibility for communication and planning design activities
- Proactively collaborating with colleagues across the business and joining the dots where needed
- Managing stakeholder’s expectations and priorities
- Adhering to human centered design practices
- Keeping abreast of best practices in design led thinking and applying those as a leader both internally and externally
- Be a champion of trialling new and relevant design methodologies and practices and promote across the business
- Create and review design specs for developers (across app and web)
- Ensure the quality of design is high, adhering to design language and challenging when appropriate
- Initiating, acting on and briefing in user research ensuring the right questions are being asked at the right time
- Leading by example and managing junior members of the team where needed
Essential Skills/Basic Qualifications:
- 4+ years of experience of designing user centred experiences, with a strong digital portfolio showing examples of your work and processes
- Proven experience of working with UX and/or service design principles and brand guidelines
- Experience creating and contributing to digital design libraries, pattern libraries or something similar
- Demonstrated ability to understand complex technical digital concepts, and present them as simple design solutions
- A team player and clear communicator who can engage with a wide range of people, you are not afraid to call out when things aren’t going right
Desirable skills/Preferred Qualifications:
- You understand and act on making design decisions based on a range of data and insight
- Proven experience leading designers, developers, stakeholders or clients
- You have experience managing stakeholders and timelines/priority lists
Purpose and Values
Barclays has a single cross-business Purpose for Barclays and five core Values which underpin it.
Our Purpose is to create opportunities for people to rise- customers, clients, colleagues and society. Put simply this is the answer to the question ‘What is Barclays for?’ and it should guide our every action as employees.
We respect and value those we work with, and the contribution that they make.
We act fairly, ethically and openly in all we do.
We put our clients and customers at the centre of what we do.
We use our energy, skills and resources to deliver the best, sustainable results.
We are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.
Dynamic working gives everyone at Barclays the opportunity to integrate professional and personal lives, if you have a need for flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager.
[For all perm job adverts except for the US where the mandatory EEO statement must be included please include the following statement “We are an equal opportunity employer and we are opposed to discrimination on any grounds.” or local/legislative Diversity and Inclusion wording]