Risk and Control Partner
Location - Manchester
Duration - 6 months (Initially)
Barclays is a British universal bank. We are diversified by business, by different types of customers and clients, and by geography. Our businesses include consumer banking and payments operations around the world, as well as a top-tier, full service, global corporate and investment bank, all of which are supported by our service company which provides technology, operations and functional services across the Group.
About Wholesale Lending Operations
Wholesale Lending Operations provides a wide range of services to support credit product transactions for both Barclays International and Barclays UK across a global footprint.
Overall purpose of role
The role holder will play a key role in supporting the Wholesale Lending Operations Leadership team in managing their internal control framework and discharging their obligations in accordance with the Enterprise Risk Management Framework and the Barclays Control Framework. In addition, the role holder will work with the Leadership team to promote a strong self-assessment culture and risk ownership by the line managers and team members alike.
The role holder will be responsible for the design, implementation and monitoring of an effective control environment ensuring Key Risk Indicators and operational procedures for functional areas remain in line with policies & standards with robust governance and reporting.
- Deliver collaborative functional stakeholder support to include coaching, training and expertise on risk and control activity
- Ensure all operational risk events and near misses are captured in line with policies & standards
- Principle point of contact for all initiatives and changes that impact the control environment within allocated function(s) ensuring risks are identified at the onset of the change and appropriate mitigation measures are put in place.
- Drive improvements in control awareness and management capability
- Support with the annual Risk & Control Self-Assessment (RCSA) process for allocation function.
- Undertaken controls assurance for controls operated within Wholesale Lending in policies/ standards.
- Support with the identification of new and emerging risks through proactive process reviews.
- Ensure issues, dispensations/ waivers / breaches (DWB’s) and risk acceptances are raised, managed and closed in line with policies & standards.
- Act as liaison point within function to support CCO, BIA and external audit programmes.
- Manage all governance activity for risk event & issues/actions in ORAC.
- Develop and track control performance metrics providing support to improve control.
- Drive the controls assurance strategy and control optimisation for supported function.
- Proactively identify controls weakness and develop strategies improve control strength.
Stakeholder Management and Leadership
- Build and maintain effective relationships within allocated functional areas.
- Develop communication strategies that are efficient and informative.
- Proactively engage with stakeholders up to and including Director level.
- Develop and strengthen effective relationships with wider stakeholders including but not limited to Product, SOx, BIA, Compliance, Operational Risk, CCO.
- Provide regular communication to ensure functional awareness of responsibilities and performance at all levels.
Risk and Control Objective
Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards
The jobholder will be able to demonstrate/or have the capacity to develop:
- Negotiation & Strong influencing skills
- Strong risk aware mind-set.
- Strong analytical ability in order to be able to present complex issues in a brief, simple and straightforward manner
- Relationship management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Planning & Organising
- The ability to absorb knowledge quickly either orally or through written communication.
- Flexibility and adaptability to varying scope and workload.
Essential Skills/Basic Qualifications:
- Knowledge of the Barclays Control Framework polies /standards.
- Experience within a Risk & Control, Operational Risk or Internal Audit Function
- High degree of Organisational awareness
- Ability to contribute effectively when working with senior colleagues, across the breadth of business/strategic issues.
Our values underpin everything we do: Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship.
We respect and value those we work with, and the contribution that they make.
We act fairly, ethically and openly in all we do.
We put our clients and customers at the centre of what we do.
We use our energy, skills and resources to deliver the best, sustainable results.
We are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.