Global Surveillance Transaction Monitoring Data Scientist
London/Northampton/Glasgow (working from home)
Length: 6 months
The role will focus predominantly on the development and optimisation of Surveillance & Transaction Monitoring solutions for in-scope Barclays UK (BUK) and Barclays International (BI) businesses / locations, including working with Global Surveillance colleagues to support the development, implementation and optimisation of automated Surveillance & Transaction Monitoring automated solutions and capabilities while leading on innovation within in the field of Surveillance & Transaction Monitoring data analytics.
Please note that this role is currently ‘working from home’ but the successful candidate may need to spend some time in the office in line with Future Ways of Working guidelines. The preferable base locations for this role are the strategic sites London, Northampton and Glasgow.
What will you be doing?
- Work with colleagues to support the development, implementation and optimisation of Global Surveillance solutions and capabilities, including;
- Develop and operationalise bespoke monitoring and oversight solutions within our Financial Crime Data Lake (FIDA), including rules, models, typologies, profiles and dashboards
- Ensuring Surveillance & TM solutions are rigorously built and embedded into routine processes, enabling proactive identification of money laundering and financial crime risks.
- Develop new / innovative methods to visualise effectiveness of Surveillance & TM solutions
- Collaborate with Global Surveillance leads and key Business, Operational, Technology and Financial Crime stakeholders to understand key priorities for the bank and identify opportunities to enhance existing data/infrastructure/capabilities/processes, to maximise effectiveness and efficiency.
- Lead on innovation within the field of Surveillance & TM, and data analytics, taking inspiration from pioneering teams within Barclays, leading peer institutions, or from different fields altogether, to enhance Surveillance & TM capabilities within Barclays.
Essential Skills/Basic Qualifications:
- Advanced knowledge and experience in application of Python and/or Tableau
- Several years’ experience in utilising analytical/data science tools for data exploration, analysis and visualisation – ideally within Financial Services / Financial Crime or a similar field.
- Experience in development of data visualisations/dashboards; preferably Tableau
- Hands on experience of common Data Science tools, libraries and languages (SQL , Python, R, Scala, Spark)
- Degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Maths, Statistics, Physics or similar appropriate Degree
- Excellent MS Office skills, including Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Visio
Desirable skills/Preferred Qualifications:
- In-depth understanding of Financial Institution data (e.g. Customer/Account, Transactional, Payment), systems and flows.
- Exposure to common Transaction Monitoring systems (Actimize SAM, Oracle Mantas, Fortent etc…)
- Familiarity with Big Data / Data Lake technologies such as Apache Hadoop Spark, Hive, Impala etc…
- Knowledge of the UK and Global Financial Crime regulatory framework
- An appreciation of Financial Crime, Market Surveillance, AML and transaction monitoring/detection and the systems/processes, including an understanding of AML and terrorist financing trends and typologies
Where will you be working?
London, Glasgow or Northampton (working from home)
Interested and want to know more about Barclays? Visit home.barclays/who-we-are/ for more details.
Barclays is a British universal bank. We are diversified by business, by different types of customers and clients, and by geography. Our businesses include consumer banking and payments operations around the world, as well as a top-tier, full service, global corporate and investment bank, all of which are supported by our service company which provides technology, operations and functional services across the Group.
Everything we do is shaped by the five values of Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship. Our values inform the foundations of our relationships with customers and clients, but they also shape how we measure and reward the performance of our colleagues. Simply put, success is not just about what you achieve, but about how you achieve it.
We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our vision and goals.
Our customers are unique. The same goes for our colleagues. That's why at Barclays we offer a range of benefits, allowing every colleague to choose the best options for their personal circumstances. These include a competitive salary and pension, health care and all the tools, technology and support to help you become the very best you can be. We are proud of our dynamic working options for colleagues. Where appropriate, and for UK based roles, we will consider requests that the role be based at alternative Barclays’ key UK location from that advertised.
We’re committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognises and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a carer, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life. If you would like some flexibility, then please discuss this with the hiring manager.