Commodities Middle Office
London (remote role)
Contract Length: 6 months (With potential to extend)
We are looking for a Commodities analyst to join the Commodities Middle Office which supports an innovative, growing business. We facilitate growing volumes, complexity and an expanding Front Office by investing in capacity and productivity, whilst ensuring our control framework remains world class.
Our product set is one of the widest of all business areas; we boast the full suite of Commodities Derivative products ( listed futures, listed options, OTC options, Index swaps, structured notes/deals and dynamic strategies etc). We also use other asset class products to hedge our exposure (i.e. FX, non-deliverable forwards, interest rate swaps, money market loans/deposits).
This is a perfect opportunity for a candidate to gain an in-depth entry into understanding these products, the operational processes from Front to Back, the operational risks in supporting this business and how best to mitigate them.
Overall purpose of role?
- Oversight on front-to-back flows, exception queues, query management linked to trade flows and working with the relevant teams to implement solutions on reoccurring themes.
- Control investigation linked to Trade flows of multiple business streams.
- Ensuring direct and efficient communication and escalation is performed with all stakeholders around associated risk items.
- Oversight to our colleagues in India around Controls and Processes that have been offshored
What will you be doing?
- You will primarily be involved in supporting the Commodities business which falls under EFS (Equity Funds and structured) but may look to expand to include other areas of EFS to ensure there is sufficient coverage across team to meet holiday demands;
- Generating and monitoring barrier and expiry reports to facilitate front office risk management
- Exception queue management to ensure timely feed of trades from front office to downstream systems
- Monitoring, investigation and recommend solutions with regards to breaks linked to key controls around front office bookings, trade flows and pricing;
- Calculation agent, processing and notification for lifecycle events linked to structured Notes and complex trade structures;
- Support and manage the Index recap process ensuring accurate and timely delivery of recaps to clients in line with our control framework.
- Work alongside our Offshore relating to various regulatory and internal reconciliations; working closely with Front Office to ensure End of Day data integrity controls are completed and clean;
- Query Management; Address and respond to, in a timely manner, issues stemming from the trade capture queries, feed issues, general queries from various stakeholders including trading, Sales, Settlements, other internal IB MO areas, etc. . These interactions will be with a wide range of areas, both from front office (Sales and Trading) and back office partners;
- Work with IT and management to help to work towards automating remaining manual processes in the EFS and Commodities world. In addition work within the team to look at ways to improve processes that are non IT dependant;
- Ensure adherence to the daily BCheck policy for signing off completed tasks;
- Ensure that procedure documents are maintained and updated for all processes covered;
- Ensure compliance with EUDA and record retention policy
What we’re looking for:
- Degree level or equivalent qualifications with experience gained in a similar banking environment.
- Preferably 1+ years working experience in Commodities middle office/trade support function or similar
- Good attention to detail, has ability to highlight/escalate issues and follow through to resolution
- Good knowledge of the front-to-back process in an investment banking environment.
- Solid understanding of operational risks, ability to spot and articulate issues to senior stakeholders, and escalate in a timely manner.
- Good working knowledge of MS Office suite, especially Excel.
- Ability to analyse data and identify risk item exceptions.
- Excellent organisational and time-management skills with the ability to multitask and the ability to work under pressure to observe deadlines
- The role is suitable for candidates who are detail-oriented with strong communication both written and verbal skills.
- Strong people influencing skills and an ability to ‘get things done in the right way’ for the business.
- A systems-based approach, understanding workflow diagrams and decision trees. This informs a significant amount of our day-to-day in resolving issues with structures.
- Able to work autonomously whilst striving towards a wider team goal
- Always keen to understand end to end processes
Where will you be working?
Barclays is a British universal bank. We are diversified by business, by different types of customers and clients, and by geography. Our businesses include consumer banking and payments operations around the world, as well as a top-tier, full service, global corporate and investment bank, all of which are supported by our service company which provides technology, operations and functional services across the Group.
Everything we do is shaped by the five values of Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship. Our values inform the foundations of our relationships with customers and clients, but they also shape how we measure and reward the performance of our colleagues. Simply put, success is not just about what you achieve, but about how you achieve it.
We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our vision and goals.
Our customers are unique. The same goes for our colleagues. That's why at Barclays we offer a range of benefits, allowing every colleague to choose the best options for their personal circumstances. These include a competitive salary and pension, health care and all the tools, technology and support to help you become the very best you can be. We are proud of our dynamic working options for colleagues. Where appropriate, and for UK based roles, we will consider requests that the role be based at alternative Barclays’ key UK location from that advertised.
Dynamic working gives everyone at Barclays the opportunity to integrate professional and personal lives. If you have a need for flexibility then please discuss this with the Hiring Manager.
Our dynamic working programme has been set up to help Barclays colleagues achieve an optimal work/life balance. Arrangements we offer range from working at home and changing regular hours to taking career breaks. Our Dynamic Working initiatives support colleagues at all stages of their lives, helping them with parenthood, caring, further studies and hobbies.