Business Analyst - Basel III
Location - Canary Wharf
PAYE Direct only
Barclays is a British universal bank. We are diversified by business, by different types of customers and clients, and by geography. Our businesses include consumer banking and payments operations around the world, as well as a top-tier, full service, global corporate and investment bank, all of which are supported by our service company which provides technology, operations and functional services across the Group.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we are opposed to discrimination on any grounds.
It is the policy of Barclays to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
Dynamic working gives everyone at Barclays the opportunity to integrate professional and personal lives, if you have a need for flexibility then please discuss this with the hiring manager
Finance supports Barclays’ business areas with a number of global sub functions and business aligned Finance teams. Finance is also aligned to businesses on a regional level, as we own the Barclays financial results regionally and act as the primary point of regulatory engagement. A key team within Finance that manages these processes is Financial Control.
About Prudential Regulatory Reporting, CoE
Within Financial Control, the Prudential Regulatory Reporting CoE (Pru-Reg CoE) team is responsible for the on-going regulatory reporting to internal and external stakeholders as well as the strategic development and implementation of change requirements in respect of Barclays’ external reporting.
Overall Purpose of Role
This role predominantly focuses on the implementation of the Basel III (otherwise known as Basel IV) reforms developed by the Basel Committee on Banking Supervision (BCBS), in terms of both reporting and disclosure within the firm, coupled with the on-going monitoring of regulatory developments that can also impact in this regard but not limited to Basel III. The individual will work with various areas across the globe.
The Basel Committee (BCBS) is the international body responsible for setting prudential rules for large, internationally active banks. Since the financial crisis of 2007/09, the BCBS has been updating the Basel II framework to further enhance the risk management and supervision of banks. It published its outstanding Basel III post-crisis regulatory reforms on 7 December 2017. This package of reforms includes changes to the standardised and internal models approach to credit risk, operational risk, leverage ratio, capital floors and credit valuation adjustment (CVA).
- The purpose of the role will be to support the Pru-Reg CoE - Projects Team in developing business requirements and supporting analysis activities across the workstreams of the programme (TOM, Systems and Reporting and Governance).
- The role holder will work on large streams of business analysis and own project artefacts for one or more small projects and own components of analysis/artefacts for medium to large scale projects including IT handover and testing.
- The role holder will also be responsible for the on-going monitoring of regulatory developments, issued by the global regulators, ensuring that these are documented, shared with appropriate areas for feedback and tracked accordingly through to implementation. This will not be limited to Basel III.
- Support Pru-Reg CoE - Projects Team in understanding and interpretation of Finance, Risk and Treasury requirements
- Create analysis and artefacts alongside the Workstream lead
- Face off to one or many business areas/SMEs understanding high level requirements and challenging where necessary
- Work independently to elicit, validate and document business requirements and input into solution design where necessary
- Present findings, requirements and problem statements to relevant programme forum / Design Authority with supporting documentation
- Define analysis approach in line with the strategic vision of the programme and the preferred methodology of the organisation
- Support production of governance materials from the programme (e.g. workstream meetings, steering committee updates)
- Support the Testing Strategy and input into the coverage of Test scenarios and conditions ensuring all requirements in scope are tested
- Participate in the testing cycle and own the resolution of defects pertaining to requirement and design clarifications
- Articulate and present commercial effectiveness of requirement proposals within a project or initiative
- Stakeholder management and leadership - work closely with workstream leads / SMEs as directed; review project documentation and provides challenge to other BAs in the team; typically face off to AVP / VP / Director level stakeholders
- Decision making and problem solving - demonstrates a broad understanding of how the bank operates and the metrics used to measure performance, analyses problems and evaluates options in a logical and systematic way; seeks the advice of stakeholders to better create clarity in complex situations, understand problems, evaluate options and make decisions; reprioritises own activities to respond to new information and changing requirements whilst staying focussed on results; considers the impact of their actions and decisions on key stakeholders, seeking to deliver a positive outcome for those involved.
- Experience and knowledge of Financial and Control/Governance frameworks and processes
- Experience and knowledge of Financial and/or Regulatory Reporting environment(s)
- Has enough knowledge of specialist area to be credible with business users and SMEs. Is still developing SME knowledge in a number of areas
- Some understanding of project methodologies and their application within the organisation's project methodology
- Exposure to working in medium to large scale change initiatives
- Experience of preparing and issuing a range of key business analysis deliverables
- Experience of communicating with a wide array of people and some experience of stakeholder management
- Experience of some of the underpinning frameworks and tools for business analysis documentation Adept at using Microsoft Office products with some experience using other software packages relevant to BA work.
- No specific qualifications.
Risk and Control Objective
Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards
Purpose and Values
Our purpose is creating opportunities to rise. We support sustainable and inclusive growth by connecting the ideas, innovations and aspirations of our customers and clients to the capital that can bring them to life. For over 325 years we have funded progress, and today we remain committed to helping make our world more sustainable, more inclusive and more connected.
Our values underpin everything we do: Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship.
We respect and value those we work with, and the contribution that they make.
We act fairly, ethically and openly in all we do.
We put our clients and customers at the centre of what we do.
We use our energy, skills and resources to deliver the best, sustainable results.
We are passionate about leaving things better than we found them.