Senior Data Architect
Contract Length: 6 months
Overall purpose of role:
- Objective of this role is to play pivotal role in developing Strategic data platform for Exchange Traded Derivatives (Futures/Options/Forwards etc.) in Prime Derivative Services business. At the core of this the new data warehouse to be built on Informatica/SQL Server/Business Objects technology stack to provide highly performing and scalable data distribution and reporting platform.
- Responsible (primary) for the design and development of ETL(Extract-Transform-Load) layer for the data platform facing off to stakeholders in Technology and business with ability to create re-usable ETL components which can be easily adopted by fellow team members who are new to this skillset.
- Reporting to the technical development manager, the candidate will play a crucial role in the execution of the strategy, identifying opportunities to realize the strategic architecture within the constraints of business growth (MGI) milestones. The individual will be required to work closely with colleagues across Prime Services and other Technology and governance teams (FIS Utility, Reference Data and Equity Finance Data Applications etc.) to ensure the technical solution leverages common components, standard proven patterns and engineering principles.
- Work independently and/or with a group of developers to develop, enhance and support the data platform within Prime Derivatives Services business.
- The platform has requirements as part of future milestones to support use cases involving Big Data based analytics platforms. This is a great opportunity to keep up-to-date with latest technology developments in this space, involve and help drive forward the strategy of a major expanding area within Barclays.
- Providing technical and business driven solutions, and as such you will also liaise with Prime IT team leads and colleagues in other locations (London, New York etc.).
Interact with Product Management, Operations and Client Services on several requirements/projects.
- The role requires a continuous focus on the performance of the application – understanding the impact of changes at a low-level is essential.
- Ability to interpret user requirements and convert them into deployable production code with a high degree of independence.
Develop solutions both tactical and strategic problems to meet business requirements.
- Propose solutions to complex problems that aligned with the existing system architecture.
- Performance tuning and enhancements.
- Develop automated testing tools to exercise functionality, performance, and capacity of code.
- Investigation and resolution Production issues
Understand requirements and help the team to deliver high quality solutions.
- Contribute to the definition of development standards and process improvements.
- To be able to communicate with key external stakeholders (e.g. exchanges, regulators) in a professional and constructive manner.
- Overall should be confident, enthusiastic and proactive.
- Ability to escalate issue to management as appropriate.
- Not be afraid to go/call to team members to solve any found issues..
- A good understanding of software development life cycle.
- Experience working in agile projects
- Must be able to learn on the job.
Essential Skills/Basic Qualifications:
- Expert Data warehouse developer with hands-on experience in architecting, design and development of data warehousing components – data modelling (star schema, snowflake etc.), Data Lineage, Data Quality, Reporting etc.
- Expert with hands-on experience in design and development of ETL components – preferably Informatica (v9 or above).
- Significant experience in design of complex ETL transformations and implementation level knowledge of ETL design patterns.
- Solid experience in PL-SQL or T-SQL with ability to write and debug high performing queries.
- Good understanding of test driven development, build, release and deployment activities with familiarity on usage of a tool and general scripting (Shell on Linux) knowledge.
Desirable skills/Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience in job scheduling tool such as Autosys etc.
- Good understanding of middleware technologies such as IBM MQ, Solace etc.
- Knowledge of Prime Services, Exchange Traded Derivatives or OTC is business a big plus.
- Familiarity with any programming language (Python, Java etc.)
Where will you be working?
Interested and want to know more about Barclays? Visit home.barclays/who-we-are/ for more details.
Barclays is a British universal bank. We are diversified by business, by different types of customers and clients, and by geography. Our businesses include consumer banking and payments operations around the world, as well as a top-tier, full service, global corporate and investment bank, all of which are supported by our service company which provides technology, operations and functional services across the Group.
Everything we do is shaped by the five values of Respect, Integrity, Service, Excellence and Stewardship. Our values inform the foundations of our relationships with customers and clients, but they also shape how we measure and reward the performance of our colleagues. Simply put, success is not just about what you achieve, but about how you achieve it.
We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our vision and goals.
Our customers are unique. The same goes for our colleagues. That's why at Barclays we offer a range of benefits, allowing every colleague to choose the best options for their personal circumstances. These include a competitive salary and pension, health care and all the tools, technology and support to help you become the very best you can be. We are proud of our dynamic working options for colleagues. Where appropriate, and for UK based roles, we will consider requests that the role be based at alternative Barclays’ key UK location from that advertised.
We’re committed to providing a supportive and inclusive culture and environment for you to work in. This environment recognises and supports ways to balance your personal needs, alongside the professional needs of our business. Providing the opportunity for all our employees, globally to work flexibly empowers each of us to work in a way that suits our lives as well as enabling us to better service our customers’ and clients’ needs. Whether you have family commitments or you’re a carer, or whether you need study time or wish to pursue personal interests, our approach to working flexibly is designed to help you balance your life. If you would like some flexibility, then please discuss this with the hiring manager.